10 most populated cities in Africa
The commercial capital of Nigeria, Lagos, which is also considered as one of the most important cities in Africa, continues to come first in the list of most populated cities in 2023 according to data collected by various news media including Statista and African Business Insider.
While the development of cities is advanced in Africa, it has been estimated that 57% Africans live in cities according to the 2022 report of the website Statista.Com.
Various researchers point out that the reason behind the increase of the population in the cities is that their life is based on the rest, especially the place to earn money which is produced by the cities. Another reason behind the increase in the number of people living in cities is the measures taken by the Government of the Countries to change the rural areas to urban. This led to what was considered a rural area later becoming a city. Meanwhile, another reason that tends to be repeated is that people these days prefer the simple life that can be found in cities.
List of the 10 most populated cities in Africa.
1. Lagos, Nigeria: The commercial capital of Nigeria with population of twenty-four million (24,000,000).
2. Cairo, Egypt: The capital of Egypt, with population of 20.4 million.
3. Kinshasa, DR Congo: The capital of the Democratic Republic of the Congo is with population of 13,300,000.
4. Luanda, Angola: The capital city of Angola is populated by 9.5 million.
5. Dar Es Salam, Tanzania: The commercial capital of Tanzania has more than 7.7 million of population.
6. Khartoum, Sudan: Khartoum in Sudan, has population of six million and three hundred thousand.
7. Johannesburg, South Africa: The commercial city of South Africa with a population of six million and one hundred thousand.
8. Abidjan, Côte D’Ivoire: Abidjan has a population of five million and six hundred thousand people.
9. Alexandria, Egypt: This tourist city in Egypt has a population of 5.5 million.
10. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: This capital city of Ethiopia has a population of 5.4 million.
In this list of the most populated cities, we should not forget Casablanca in Morocco, Nairobi in Kenya and Accra in Ghana.